Are you ready to make restaurant-style fried rice at home? Look no further! Our Chicken and Shrimp Fried Rice recipe is a mouthwatering fusion of flavors that will leave you craving for more. This recipe is not only incredibly delicious but also quick and easy to prepare, making it the perfect weeknight dinner option.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Fried rice with chicken and shrimp is a versatile recipe that allows you to use up leftover rice and various ingredients from your fridge. It's a fantastic way to reduce food waste and transform yesterday's meal into a gourmet experience. Plus, this recipe is perfect for those nights when you need a satisfying dinner without spending hours in the kitchen.
- Chicken breast
- Cooked cal rose rice- make sure to leave time for the rice to cool. Or purchase cooked rice in the freezer section of your grocery store.
- Avocado oil- high heat oil is necessary when cooking fried rice or stir fry.
Marinade for chicken fried rice:
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- garlic cloves
- ground black pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
1: Marinate chicken and shrimp: Make the marinade by combining ½ cup soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of grated ginger, and 4-5 minced garlic cloves. Next, cut the chicken breast into ½ inch cubes then add cleaned shrimp and pour prepared marinade over the chicken and shrimp.
2: Prepare and Sauté Vegetables: Prep all your vegetables by dicing 1 onion, ½ cup of canned corn drained, ¾ cup of canned peas, 2 carrots diced. Next, heat your wok on high heat and drizzle avocado oil then start frying vegetables, start with diced onions, and then add the rest of the vegetables. Once they are caramelized take out and put aside.
3: Sauté chicken and shrimp: Drain chicken and shrimp from marinade. Then, In the same wok on high heat sauté chicken and shrimp until the shrimp is no longer translucent and chicken is cooked through.
4: Add the caramelized vegetables back into the wok and mix together.
Step 3: Let the Dough Rise
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until it doubles in size, which usually takes about 2 hours, depending on room temperature.
Step 4: Roll and Assemble
- Once the dough has risen, invert it on a floured surface and with a rolling pin roll out into a rectangle about ¾ inch thickness.
- Spread the remaining pumpkin puree and ½ cup softened butter evenly over the dough, then sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar on top.
Hint: When making rice for other recipes make a double batch and freeze extra for making fried rice in the future. Then when you are in a time crunch or want to use up vegetables from your fridge you already have cooked rice ready to go. You can add frozen rice straight into caramelized chicken and shrimp and vegetables and it will defrost and cook right away.
Feel free to customize your Chicken and Shrimp Fried Rice to suit your preferences or dietary restrictions. Here are some substitutions you can consider:
- Vegetables: Swap peas and carrots for broccoli, bell peppers, or any other veggies you like. With fried rice, you can add as many vegetables as you would like. Also, feel free to use the vegetable mix baggies found in the freezer aisle. For an easy and uncomplicated way to add vegetables.
- Soy Sauce: Use low-sodium soy sauce for a healthier option or coconut aminos.
- White rice: Feel free to substitute white rice with brown rice for a healthier alternative.
- If you have our homemade yakisoba sauce use it instead of the marinade for the chicken and shrimp.
Variations on cooking Fried rice:
This fried rice can be cooked in many ways to adapt to your favorite method:
- Blackstone chicken fried rice: Use an outdoor Blackstone or similar to cook a large batch of the fried rice and serve a large crowd or freeze it for freezer meals.
- Instant pot chicken fried rice: To make in the instant pot follow the recipe and first set on sautéed mode and follow all the steps.
Storing leftover Shrimp and Chicken Fried Rice:
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop, add a little water or soy sauce to refresh the flavors and add moister to the fried rice.
This fried rice also freezes well if you are able to make a large batch on a Blackstone or in a large wok. Let it cool and then portion it into large gallon freezer bags and freeze for 6 months. This makes a great meal to bring to a sick or recovering friend and stock their freezer.
For the best results, ensure your wok or skillet is very hot before adding the ingredients. This will help you achieve that characteristic fried rice texture with a delightful smoky flavor.
It's best to use cooked and cooled rice for this recipe. Using day-old rice ensures that the grains are firm and separate, resulting in a better texture for your fried rice.
Absolutely! Substitute soy sauce with coconut aminos to make the recipe gluten-free.
To add heat, sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes or add a dash of sriracha sauce while stir-frying ingredients.
CHICKEN AND SHRIMP FRIED RICE
- 1 WOK
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 wooden spatula
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 lb shrimp
- 4 cups cooked cal rose rice
- ½ cup canned corn
- ¾ cup canned peas
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Marinade for Shrimp and Chicken fried rice:
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1: Marinate chicken and shrimp: Make the marinade by combining ½ cup soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 1 tablespoon of grated ginger, and 4-5 minced garlic cloves. Next, cut the chicken breast into ½ inch cubes then add cleaned shrimp and pour prepared marinade over the chicken and shrimp.
- 2: Prepare and Sauté Vegetables: Prep all your vegetables by dicing 1 onion, ½ cup of canned corn drained, ¾ cup of canned peas, 2 carrots diced. Next, heat your wok on high heat and drizzle avocado oil then start frying vegetables, start with diced onions, and then add the rest of the vegetables. Once they are caramelized take out and put aside.
- 3: Sauté chicken and shrimp: Drain chicken and shrimp from marinade. Then, In the same wok on high heat sauté chicken and shrimp until the shrimp is no longer translucent and chicken is cooked through.
- 4: Add the caramelized vegetables back into the wok and mix together.
- 5: Add egg: Make a well in the center of your wok by moving aside the rice and vegetables. Add in 2 eggs and season lightly with a pinch of salt and pepper. Once the bottom has become white mix the egg into a scramble. Then mix into the rice and vegetables.
- 6: Add Rice: 4 cups of cooked and cooled white cal rose rice. Make sure the rice is cooled if you try to add hot or just cooked rice the fried will turn to mush. Mix the vegetables and protein with the rice. Season with soy sauce and sesame oil to taste and your preference. And 3 tablespoon of butter.