There is a reason why this sandwich recipe went viral on TikTok! Layers of thinly sliced meats, cheeses, and fresh chopped salad nestled between a soft, crusty roll. This Italian Grinder Sandwich Recipe is a mouth-watering sandwich that will leave you wanting more!
When making this Grinder sandwich I started making my 30-minute bread and using it as the sandwich roll and it made this sandwich even better if that's possible!
Why you will love this recipe
- Customizable to Your Taste Preference: Customize the meats, cheeses, and veggies to suit your preferences. Whether you prefer a spicier kick or a milder taste, you have the freedom to change up this sandwich to your liking.
- Easy Preparation with Minimal Effort: With simple steps and common kitchen tools, you can create a gourmet sandwich that looks and tastes like it came straight from a deli. Impress your family and friends with minimal effort and maximum flavor.
- Make-Ahead: Busy schedules? No problem! This recipe can be prepared in advance. Simply assemble the sandwiches, mix the salad, and refrigerate. Make sure to store separately as the salad can make the sandwich soggy. When it's time to serve, unwrap add the salad to the sandwich, and enjoy! The make-ahead convenience makes it a go-to option for picnics, gatherings, or a quick and delicious weeknight dinner.
- Bread rolls- Make versatile bread rolls in any shape or size you would like with this 30 minute bread recipe.
- Grinder salad-
- iceberg lettuce
- purple onion
- banana peppers
- mayonnaise- make your own avocado oil mayonnaise using this quick and simple recipe.
- provolone cheese
- genoa salami
See recipe card for quantities.
- Salami or Ham: Feel free to customize the meats and cheeses based on your preferences. Even leftover rotisserie chicken works well in this sandwich.
- Bread rolls: Feel free to buy bread buns or substitute gluten-free rolls for a gluten-free version.
Step 1: Prepare your grinder salad: Chop the head of iceberg lettuce, a purple onion, ½ cup banana peppers, and add in 3 tablespoons of relish. Mix 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette.
Step 2: Toast your sandwich: Cut open a bread roll and spread Mayonnaise onto the bread and top one side with the meats salami, ham, etc, and the other side with provolone cheese. Toast in an oven at 350F for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Step 3: Assemble the Grinder sandwich: Once the meats and cheese are nice and toasted fill with the mixed grinder salad. Close the sandwich and enjoy fresh!
If serving at a later time make sure to store the salad and sandwich separately and assemble before serving.
This recipe is best made fresh. If you have to make it ahead of time then prepare the salad and keep it separate until ready to serve and then assemble the sandwich.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these other sandwich recipes:
- Chicken pesto Grilled Cheese
- Prosciutto Crostini Melts
- Smoked Salmon Crostini with Boursin Cheese
- Focaccia pizza bread
If you enjoyed this recipe make sure to leave a 5-star rating. As well as leave a comment if you have any questions or what you enjoyed most. Be sure to tag us on social media #juliesapron or @juliesapron for a chance to be featured on our page. These small gestures mean so much for the success of my blog! Thank you for following along and if you are new here, welcome; I hope you stick around and enjoy all the recipes!